My Fitness Journey
Happy Fitness Friday with Blaine! It’s been a rocky start to my new year with my gym workouts, if I’m being honest! Like this morning, I slept in a little. BUT, I did manage to get up, walk the dogs, get a 2 mile walk in on the treadmill too. Then rounded it out with yoga!
Every day it’s a battle with myself. I can make a MILLION and one excuses– or I can get up and get it done. As you might have read, my word of the year is mindfulness. It really takes work on your MIND to achieve. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: You won’t always be motivated! But you have to be DISCIPLINED!
But you also have to give yourself GRACE. This is where I struggle. I’m mad at myself for not getting to the gym today. I was going for 5 days this week, and I didn’t make it. BUT, it’s better than the 3 days I did last week. And I still made an effort to move my body.
My fitness goals this year are to increase my muscle and strength. I’d also like to increase my speed with running. My biggest thing is I usually have WAY to many things I’m working towards. And as a perfectionist and high-achiever, this makes it really hard.
Encouragement for YOU!
But if you’re on a fitness journey, I want to encourage you! Set your goals, make the appointment to show up for yourself! Determine your WHY! Is it to feel better? Lose weight? Have more energy? To set a good example for your kids? To help your mental health?
Whatever your WHY is, never lose focus on that! You will have good days and bad days. You’ll let yourself down sometimes. The biggest thing is: DON’T GIVE UP!
We have ONE life. Don’t you want to make the most of it?
- If you’re new to fitness, start slow and easy. Also, talk to your doctor and make sure you’re able to safely pursue your fitness goals.
- Pick something you LIKE! So many times we think in order to be fit, we have to be a runner, or lift the heaviest weights. If that’s not your thing, you’re not going to stick with it! Find something you enjoy doing– yoga, walking, dancing, hiking… playing with the kids!
- Start small. Set a goal to move your body for 10 minutes a day. Then increase it slowly.
- Get an accountability partner! Me and my fiancé work out together– and that keeps me accountable (most days, LOL). Having someone to share your goals with and hold you accountable can be a game-changer.
- Have fun! Life doesn’t have to be boring, and neither do workouts! Turn on your favorite music or podcast. I’ve even been known to watch shows on Netflix on the treadmill. Do what you have to do to get it done.
- Make yourself and your health a priority. Again, life is short… you owe it to yourself to live well!
One Area I’m Working On
Growing up, I was always TINY. Sure I was thin, and people envied that. But that doesn’t mean I was healthy. I also didn’t have much shape to me either. I’ll never forget being made fun of for my “broomstick” arms. I was always so self-conscious of them. When I was 11 or so, I started ballet, so I was getting exercise, and stayed thin. And for a while the whole skinny arm thing didn’t bother me.
Now that I’ve been working out in the gym for a couple of years, I have seen SOME improvement in my arms, but it’s still an area I struggle with! I’m working on it though! And any time I see a hint of more muscle, it encourages me!
Just so you know… it may take a while to see the big changes you’re hoping for. But be patient and CONSISTENT. You will get there! And I’m always here to cheer you on!
Happy Fitness Friday, friends!