Today is (9/23) National Redhead Day, and as a natural redhead, I love celebrating what I consider to be my signature physical trait.
Here are ten interesting things you may not know about gingers:
- Redheads produce more Vitamin D than others.
- The strong pigment of natural red hair makes it one of the most difficult shades to dye.
- Natural red hair and blue eyes is one of the most rare combinations on Earth, because both are considered recessive traits.
- Redheads typically don’t go grey as they age; it will usually just fade from red to strawberry blonde, into white.
- Many redheads are often left-handed, too. Both are recessive traits, which typically appear in twos.
6. Red hair tends to be thicker than others. That’s because redheads actually tend to have LESS strands than other colors, but those individual strands are thicker, adding overall volume.
8. Redheads tend to have a higher pain tolerance than people with other hair colors. The same gene that makes redheads more sensitive to heat & cold also makes them less sensitive to pain.
9. Natural redheads are basically unicorns – they make up less than TWO percent of the world’s population!
10. Fun fact #10 goes without saying: Redheads are awesome!